Congratulations to the Howard County 2021 Changemaker Challenge Finalists!
The Horizon Foundation, United Way of Central Maryland, the Community Foundation of Howard County and the Women’s Giving Circle of Howard County are thrilled to announce the finalists for the 2021 Changemaker Challenge!
These finalists will compete for the chance win up to $35,000 to bring their big ideas to life! Get your FREE ticket to watch them Nov. 9 from 6-7:30 p.m. EST at the Changemaker Challenge live virtual event. Register today!
RAISE A GLASS WITH A BEVERAGE FROM A PAST WINNER!
Want to be refreshed the night of the event? Order one of our specialized, alcohol-free Changemaker Challenge drinks by one of our past winners – Sobar – for everyone! Drink orders will be open until Nov. 2. If you choose one of the event specialty drinks, The Changemaker or The Challenge, use code CC6 to get a discount at checkout.
And the finalists are…
Meet our 2021 finalists and their Big Ideas for social change in Howard County:
- The 3rd – Create a space in downtown Columbia that brings the community together. The space melds live/work elements all in one space and is run by, supplied by and incubates women of color entrepreneurs.
- 4Girls2STEM – Launch a STEM program for girls of color in Howard County.
- Alston for Athletes – Provide Youth Mental Health First Aid Training to athletic directors, coaches and trainers in Howard County.
- The Community Ecology Institute – Create a Nourishing Gardens initiative that will transform lawns throughout Howard County into ecologically beneficial food growing spaces. The program will offer job skills training and work opportunities, increase the local supply of fresh, healthy produce and seek to get it to those in greatest need, improve the ecosystem and provide community engagement and education opportunities.
- Howard County Lynching Truth & Reconciliation, Inc. – Create an interactive, web based platform to assist with educating the community about our history, which impacts us all today.
- HoCo Pirate Adventures, Inc. – Eliminate economic and transportation barriers by creating a free app that will guide residents on pirate-themed scavenger hunts in parks throughout Howard County. Hunts are targeted to kids and families and are intended to have a positive impact on the mental and physical health of families.
- Oakland Mills Online – Introduce students to the lived experiences and career paths of their community members through an in-school Speaker Series (starting at Oakland Mills High School) that connects today’s leaders with tomorrow’s leaders.
- Kits to Heart – Improve the mental and emotional well-being of those affected by cancer through an innovative art therapy program by partnering with the Howard County Arts Council to offer free art classes and workshops for the cancer community.
- Upcycled, Inc. – Upgrade the recycling center to simplify the “Upcycling” process and facilitate an interactive educational area.
- Howard County Autism Society – Support the Autism Hiring Program, an innovation that advances workplace neurodiversity and acceptance, connecting businesses to an untapped workforce and targeting jobseekers not supported by existing systems.
Join us for the live virtual event on November 9 to get inspired and learn more about these innovative ideas to make our community a better place!